In a true mountain race, runners may experience uneven trails, scree fields, steep downhills, mud, sharp rocks and even river crossings. Athletes need support and protection from these elements and to still be able to run fast and compete.
Technical mountain racing inspired Under Armour to create its newest trail shoe, the UA Horizon BPF, recently introduced on UA.com.
“Bullet Proof Feather (BPF) was the concept for the shoe,” explained Barry Hewitt, Under Armour Footwear Category Manager. “We created a shoe that’s light and fast enough for trail athletes to compete in, on the most rugged mountain terrain around the world.”
Under Armour partnered with Michelin to add the tire company’s premium Outdoor Compound (OC) to the outsole of the shoe. The lugs are derived from mountain bike tires for aggressive traction, while the tacky compound works well to provide stability on slick rock.
For additional protection and durability, the Horizon BPF has an anatomically molded one-piece PU (polyurethane) cast upper that wraps as a cage over breathable mesh and acts as a supportive and flexible exo-skeleton.
With a men’s size 9 weighing in at just 9.4 oz, the UA Horizon BPF is incredibly lightweight to move quickly over technical terrain and cushioned under-foot to remain comfortable over long distances.
Technical benefits of the shoes include:
- Lightweight, quick drying, air mesh upper to keep you dry and comfortable on long runs
- Molded collar foam package for comfort
- Highly breathable air mesh tongue to promote air flow and keep feet cool
- Charged™ foam pucks in heel and forefoot for responsive comfort
- Lightweight EVA midsole for optimal cushioning
- Michelin® Oc Outsole Compound for excellent traction
- Michelin® Wild Dig Decent’R Outsole Lug Pattern for shedding mud and debris
- 7mm Drop
The UA Horizon BPF retails for $130 USD for both men’s and women’s styles, and is available for purchase on UA.com.