In 2004, Under Armour Founder and CEO Kevin Plank invited teammates from the company’s Baltimore offices to attend “Employee Night at the Yard,” an appreciation night at a Baltimore Orioles baseball game at Camden Yards.
Fifteen years later, that annual celebration has evolved to what is now known globally as Armour Day. Now more than just teammate appreciation, Armour Day is a day of community service and celebration; teammates volunteer their time and energy toward giving back to the local communities where they live and work.
Throughout May and June, a total of 24 Armour Day activations will take place across 30 cities in 14 countries including Portland, Pittsburgh, Moscow, Guangzhou, Santiago and Sydney.
For the first time, all Under Armour teammates in Europe will celebrate at the new EMEA Global Headquarters in Amsterdam, which opened in April.
Global teammates have already taken part in many giveback activities in the US and in Asia, which include:
- Creating mobile gardens for city residents through Civic Works in Baltimore;
- Providing housing, emotional support and other services for families with children who are terminally ill in local San Francisco hospitals, through FamilyHouse;
- Recycling lightly-used soap collected from various hotel partners, and redistributing soap to disadvantaged families with Soap Cycling in Hong Kong;
- Building 70 custom skateboards for foster children through Oregon Department of Human Services; and
- Planting trees in urban areas with the Pittsburgh Parks Conservancy.
This year’s Armour Day in Baltimore was held alongside the opening of Under Armour’s state-of-the-art Omni Distribution House (ODH) at Sparrows Point in Baltimore County. At the 1.3 million square foot facility, over 20 community partners came together and provided unique ways for teammates to contribute, doing everything from building new bikes to making blankets for area animal shelters, creating wooden flags for wounded warriors, and even receiving youth coaching and first aid training to help the next generation of citizens grow and thrive.
Under Armour is proud of its teammates and the dedication they show in helping others. In 2018, the global team dedicated nearly 40,000 hours to volunteer activities in the communities where they live and work, and Armour Day is just one way that UA gives back and lives its values throughout the year.