Basketball is not easy on the body.
On average, professional basketball players run about 2.5 miles per game, with point guards often doubling or even tripling that number.
Every pounding step on the court can have the impact of two-to-three times one’s body weight.
Multiply all of that by 82, the number of games in a season, and that’s a big hit on those playing high-impact, explosive basketball.
Under Armour understands the game and obsesses over the needs of the athletes who play it. Just in time for the start of a new basketball season, UA is bringing its groundbreaking innovation in footwear cushioning technology – HOVR – to the game.
The new HOVR Havoc brings the same benefits of active responsive cushioning and energy return to athletes on the basketball court that UA debuted in the HOVR Phantom and HOVR Sonic for runners earlier this year. Soft UA HOVR Foam is contained in a compression mesh Energy Web in the midsole of the HOVR Havoc, making every move more explosive and every step as responsive in the closing seconds as at the opening tip.
To address the running, jumping and dynamic movements unique to basketball, UA designed a hyper-performance system that delivers on lock down, containment and stability in the HOVR Havoc. Three areas work together to bring a true lock-down feel to life:
- TPU shank in the mid-foot area wraps under foot for extra lateral stability and provides structure and strength in that zone
- Medial arch area offers reinforced support
- Added stability in the lateral forefront area locks in the foot to prevent forefoot slippage
"We’re excited to bring our proven, tested and refined construction from running to basketball, featuring adaptations to tune the performance for players on court," said Leon Gu, senior basketball and train footwear designer at Under Armour. "HOVR makes every step land softer and every push-off feel more explosive – offering energy return that combats gravity."
An external heel counter further provides lock-in support for the heel, without placing hard pressure on the foot and ensuring the heel is still comfortably wrapped by the upper. The upper is a breathable, two-layer knit structure:
- Delivers fit, feel and protection in both the mid and low
- Provides breathability without sacrificing the one to one fit
- Certain areas on the upper are reinforced with a synthetic overlay to reinforce key lateral containment zones
- The unique, integrated lacing system in the forefoot, midfoot and heel goes further than traditional laces, securing the foot like never before for a customized, strategic fit
The UA HOVR Havoc Low ($105) and HOVR Havoc Mid ($115) will release globally, beginning in North America, at UA Brand Houses and at UA.com on August 31.